2-way bidirectional valve
to sort/inject two fluids
- Rapid setup and ease of use
- Chemically and biologically compatible
A bidirectional 3-port/ 2-way valve, may be controlled by our software or used as a manually operated stand-alone device. The 2-SWITCH™is a versatile tool that can be easily adapted into an on/off valve (2-port / 2-position) by connecting a plug to one port (other than the common port)
- Chemical and biological compatibility (wetted materials: Teflon®)
- Low internal volume (12µL)
- Indicator lights show valve position
- No dead volume
- External fittings for fast connection
- Fast response time: 20ms
- Monitor the experiment at all times
- Fully automate the experiments and save time
- Simplify chip design to better manage the experiments
- Save bench space for your set-ups
- Keep full integrity of your samples
- Reduce reagent consumption
- Communicate with external devices
- Maximum applied pressure: 7bar
- Size: 3x3x9.5cm3
- Weight: 72g
- No heating
- Power supply: RJ45 to the SWITCHBOARD
SOFTWARE: ESS™ CONTROL
The ESS™ Control software allows you to control each ESS™ products.
As shown in the picture, the ESS™ Control Software enables visualization and control of valves positions. We have also developed many features to help you in your daily work and simplify your routine work
- Possibility to record and log the positions of all devices during the experiment.
- Possibility to save a set of positions as a configuration.
- Modular display of your devices: the main window can be contracted and expanded.
- Every 2-SWITCH™ control can be undocked and displayed in an individual and repositionable compact window.
- Possibility to customize the interface, such as switch names as well as all fluidic ports.
1. WORKING PRINCIPLE
The 2-SWITCH™ is a 3-port / 2-way solenoid valve: two ports can alternatively be connected to a third one (the common port), thanks to the movement of a diaphragm actuated by a solenoid.
2. BIDIRECTIONAL FLOW
The flow is also bidirectional in the 2-SWITCH™, meaning that the device can be used as a selector and a distributor. The 2-SWITCH™ is also a versatile device that can be very easily adapted into an on/off valve (2-port / 2-position) by connecting a plug to one port (other than the common port).
3. SOME CHARACTERISTICS
The diagram shows an example on how to use the 2-SWITCH™ devices.
- At the upstream of the microfluidic device, 2-SWITCH™ are used for each inlet as on/off switches. In order to choose which reagent will be injected into the mixing chip.
- At the downstream of the chip, 2-SWITCH™ is used as a 2-way switch to easily sort the exiting flow and recover only the sample that you want.
All the 2-SWITCH™ can be automated so that the selection of reagents and the outlet sorting are fully synchronized. This kind of fluidic diagram can be very useful for chemical mixing reactions, stoichiometry and viscosity studies.
P/N = 2SW001
To learn how to connect the 2-Switch™ on the Switchboard, go to the ESS™ section.
Concerning the tubing connection:
- Cut the 1/16’’ OD tubing to the desired length, leaving a square-cut face.
- Slide the nut over the tubing with the nut thread facing the tubing end being connected.
- Slip the ferrule over the tubing, with the tapered portion of the ferrule facing the nut.
- Insert the assembly into the receiving port, and while holding the tubing firmly against the bottom of the port, tighten the nut finger tight.
- To check the tightness of your connection, you may pull gently on the tubing: it must stay fitted in the ferrule and nut.
- The 2-SWITCH™ device can only be connected with 1/16’’ OD tubing.
The 2-SWITCH™ can only be connected with 1/16’’ OD tubing and the provided fittings. There is a wide variety of materials and internal diameters available with 1/16’’ tubing to suit your application. However, if you have constraints on your fluidic set-up that force you to use tubing of other external diameters than 1/16’’, a wide range of adaptors and unions are available from the fittings suppliers, to make a junction between your specific tubing and the 2-SWITCH™ tubing.
Warning: Please note that sleeves cannot be used directly in the 2-SWITCH™ fluidic ports (risks of trapping the smaller tubing and possible non-tight connection).
If you are planning to use a 2-SWITCH™ as a fluidic on/off switch, you will need to plug either port #1 or port #2 on the 2-SWITCH™. For example, if you plug port #2, when in Position 2 the common port will be connected to the plug inside the 2-SWITCH™. As there is still some internal volume inside the 2-SWITCH™ (12µL per position), it is better to fill the 2-SWITCH™ in Position 2 with distilled water before connecting the plug to close the position. This way, during the experiment when the valve is actuated in Position 2 to close a path, there will be no air bubble and a minimal liquid displacement in the Position 2, as it will have already been filled with liquid.
Because CTCs detection and labelling need a very precise and smooth flow control, Fluigent MFCS™ associated with the Flow-Rate Control Module and the ESS™ platform, was the designated choice to be able to efficiently control the flows of all the solutions and samples.
Many microfluidic applications are developed based on concepts relying on electrodes to sort or separate samples, generate electro-osmotic flows, manipulate particles, perform electrochemical detection etc. Read an example in this is electronic paper, where the electrophoretic displacement of titanium dioxide particles in a dark hydrocarbon oil solution.
Information, such as cell size, type discrimination and other quantitative characteristic information can be measured for biological systems using impedance spectroscopy. Our electrical impedance spectroscopy platform (or EISP) offers the advantage of acquiring this information from cells, or particles such as beads, without the need to label them.