ESS™: EASY SWITCH SOLUTIONS™
Versatile fluid handling platform
The ESS™ platform is a versatile fluid handling platform for directing fluid flow that can be automated using Fluigent software. It includes three complementary types of bidirectional valves (the 2-SWITCH™, the L-SWITCH™ and the M-SWITCH™), as well as an unique communication hub, the SWITCHBOARD.
This system can be controlled by Fluigent software or using the SDK.
The different valves can be used for many different protocols. For sorting, the 2-SWITCH™ is recom-mended whereas for recirculation, it is better to use a L-SWITCH™. However, for sequential injections, the M-SWITCH™ is the most suitable product
- Economical: Reduce reagent consumption
- Adaptable: Chemical & biological compatibility
- Ease of use: Live monitoring and control
- Compact for smaller bench space
ESS™ Platform Microfluidic valves
L-SWITCH™: 6 PORT/2 POSITION BIDIR. VALVE
SWITCHBOARD: COMMUNICATION PLATFORM
A communication hub hosting up to four M-SWITCH™ or L-SWITCH™ and eight 2-SWITCH™ and provides them power, and a single USB connection to the PC. Compatible with TTL input/output signals
Live control protocol with ESS™ CONTROL
The ESS™ Control allows to visualize and control the 2-SWITCH and other Fluigent valves position in real time. The full setup automation and dynamic display ensure :
• Possibility to record and log the positions of all devices during the experiment, with different possible sampling rates.
• Possibility to save a set of positions as a configuration that can be reused whenever needed.
• Modular display of your devices: the main window can be contracted, and every 2-SWITCH™ control can be undocked and displayed in an individual and repositionable compact window.
Automated protocole with MAT
The Microfluidic Automation Tool (MAT) is an unique program for developing and running time-based experiments. Its drag and drop interface ensure an easy and rapid protocol creation. It allows to control the 2-SWITCH and other Fluigent valves for:
• Benefit from MAT functions such as repeat, if, wait until, … for the development of complex protocols
• Possibility to load and save protocols.
• Integrate the 2-Switch™ with other Fluigent valves and instrument or other devices (requires TLL signal)
SIMPLIFY CHIP DESIGN TO BETTER MANAGE THE EXPERIMENT
With the ability to deliver up to 10 different fluids through the same microchannel, the ESS™ platform provides a powerful solution to simplify your chip design (reduced number of channels, no internal valves required, etc)
SAVE BENCH SPACE FOR YOUR SET-UPS
Each ESS™ product has been designed to be used close to your chips and other devices. This avoids unnecessary tubing and decreases internal volumes, optimizing the performance of the most complex set-up (higher responsiveness, sample preservation, etc).
KEEP FULL INTEGRITY OF YOUR SAMPLES
The ESS™ platform offers both biocompatibility and low interval volumes, preserving the integrity of all your samples by limiting bubble generation and reducing cross contamination.
REDUCE REAGENT CONSUMPTION
While important quantities of samples are lost due to the high internal volume in the usual “switching” devices, the ESS™ Platform products optimize liquid consumption with only port-to-port volume down to 660nL.
COMMUNICATE WITH EXTERNAL DEVICES
The ESS™ SWITCHBOARD has 4 BNC ports on its back to enable fast communication and synchronization with external devices such as microscopes or camera with a TTL logic.
- Connect the plug of the power supply provided on the front of the Switchboard. The flat side of the power supply plug must face upwards to enter the socket on the Switchboard.
- Actuate the ON/OFF button
- Connect the provided USB cable between the computer and the USB port on the Switchboard.
- Connect the Fluigent valves you want to use paying attention to the Switchboard ports.
- The Switchboard ports called ‘A, B, C, D’ are compatible with the M-Switch™ and the L-Switch™.
- The Switchboard ports called ‘1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8’ are compatible with the 2-Switch™.To connect a valve to the Switchboard, plug a RJ45 cable provided by Fluigent between the valve and the right Switchboard port.
To identify the linked SWITCHBOARD RJ45 ports and devices, you can use the Check connection feature by pushing the corresponding Check connection buttons on the SWITCHBOARD. This will light up the green RJ45 indicators on the associated SWITCHBOARD RJ45 port and on the RJ45 port of the device connected to it.